The Little Known Facts About Domain Names
- First Registered Domain Name
Symbolics.com was the first domain name registered on March 15, 1985. It was purchased by Symbolics Computer Corporation for their computer development company.
- Free Domain Names Domain Names were free till 1995 after which they were priced at $100 .This kept falling eventually to $70 by 1997.
- Regulator of Domain Names ICANN (Internet Corporation for Assigned Names & Numbers) was formed in 1998 as a non-profit organisation to regulate the domain name industry.
- No more Dot Coms with letter A
All domain names starting with letter A for .com are already taken repeated in any succession from 1-63 .
- All three-character domains are taken
With over 50,000 character combinations that are possible for three-character domains but they are all registered. Since they are easy to remember, they were already purchased by 1997. This includes .net, .org, .info
- One person registered 14,962 domains in a day Mike Mann holds the record for registering the most domains in one day. Asked why , he replied , "I’m just really greedy. I want to own the world.”
- Most Expensive Domain Name
Insurance.com sold for $35.6 million in 2010.
- Google.com was supposed to be Googol.com Google founders, Larry Page and Sean Anderson had intended to name their company “Googol,” the term for the number value 1 followed by 100 zeros. Ultimately the search for “googol” turned out to be google.com domain name.
- More than 1000 TLDs There are now more than 1000 top level domain names ranging from .abb to .zw. This has led to an exponential growth in domain names and availability of more names for the world overall.